Monday, July 3, 2017

Happy Independence Day!

Yes, that's right, I said it: HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

I know, "happy 4th of July" is sooooo much easier to say than "happy Independence Day". It's a mouthful, I get it! But what other holiday do you give greetings by the date? No one says "Merry 25th of December!" or "Happy October 31st!". It just doesn't make sense.

When society embraces calling our nation's birthday "July 4th", rather than Independence Day, we easily lose the meaning of the holiday. I asked my kids what we're celebrating on July 4th and they had no idea. They know that fireworks are a big part of it. But when I asked them what we celebrate on Independence Day, I could see the wheels turning in their minds.

What is it that we celebrate on Independence Day? We celebrate our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain. If you love this country and our Constitution as much as I do, I urge you to push out that extra syllable and exclaim

Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment