Thursday, August 18, 2011

Family dinner!

Every other Wednesday, we enjoy family dinner with my little bro and his two girls. They've tried some new things at our house and some variations of the staples. I decided to nix the long beans tonight and instead oven fried the okra and made two pizzas using pre-made dough from Publix and veggies from the farmers market. Yum!



Here's the recipe I used for oven fried okra. It's super-simple and is always a kiddie & grown-up crowd pleaser with toothpicks for spearing & ranch dressing on the side! One tip - if the okra is small, cook only :30, not :40.



We discovered the pre-made pizza dough in a fridge at the Publix Bakery. I think they're about $3 and they taste so good! Just let it rise for an hour in a greased bowl with a towel over it, then stretch and top. We cook ours on a large baking dish at 450° for 12 minutes. Don't worry about the shape! When we started, we came out with some funky shaped pies.

On this pizza: olive oil, a mixture of blanched broccoli, chopped tomatoes, garlic & ranch dressing and a package of 2% Italian shredded cheese.

The second pizza was more traditional with pizza sauce, basil, garlic, sliced deli ham (for the guys) and mixed cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Dupuis-HashimotoAugust 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM

    This all looks so yummy. I've been looking for a good okra recipe; can't wait to try this one! Oh, and I thought about you the other day when I made my own pizza dough (we talked about buying the Publix dough once before.) It turned out really good and made enough for two to three pizzas. The only ingredient I didn't have was yeast so it ended up being cheaper than Publix too! I'll find the recipe and send it your way (it was on the Food Network website I just need to check and see which one it was.)

    ReplyDelete