Thursday, August 18, 2011

Food, Family & Politics: they definitely go together!

I started cooking more and more after getting married 8 years ago. Our dinners went from baked chicken & broccoli in 2003 to Aaloo Palak in 2011.

I gave up meat (have a weakness for fall off the bone ribs & bacon, though) at the same time my oldest son Jake was old enough to try it. I always had an aversion to raw meat, gristle and any type of "pink" in my steak, so I had been experimenting with vegetarian dishes for years. That summer, my neighbor lent me the book Skinny Bitch. All that I had tried to ignore my entire life about our food was screaming at me from those pages. So, I gave up meat, except for those special times like eating King's BBQ in Lake County this past week end. Going meat-free in our house was a major turning point in the kitchen.

Almost on a daily basis, I look up recipes online to try something new with whatever's in the house. Last night it was an Indian dish of spinach, potatoes, tomatoes & spices called Aaloo Palak.

The food issue in America was brought to the forefront when we visited the Kennesaw Farmer's Market on Tuesday. I've been to road side stands and to other farmer's markets, but I was blown away by this one. While it was intimate, it was plentiful! I bought hydroponic organic
lettuce for $2 a head, a big bunch of freshly picked spinach for $2, tomatoes & hot peppers for $2, long beans for $2 (going to make tonight! What the heck is a long bean?!), homemade Thai dressing for $5, a basket of freshly picked okra for $2, Georgia peaches for $4 and a basket of freshly tilled sweet potatoes for another $2. A week's worth of FRESH produce for $21 + amazing dressing for a vegetarian family!

Whoah, those are some looong beans!

I'm still on cloud 9! I can barely get over the fact that I've been buying grocery store lettuce and spinach, possibly in a bag, for half my life. And fruits & veggies picked early so they look better in the store. For what? The convenience? What's so convenient about going to the grocery store and paying twice as much for week old, bland, vitamin depleted produce?

You may be thinking "is this chick really just learning about farmer's markets"? Well, no! I've known about farmer's markets for ever, but discovering a good one is the key. While living in Ponce Inlet, the closest weekly Farmer's Market on City Island featured resellers. These folks bought old produce from the grocery stores and then resold it at the farmer's market! yuck! And still others resold things like sunscreen or pallets of water. Yes, some Saturdays, we could score amazing produce, and the local honey was fabulous, but the entire event was spotty.

Long story short, I'll be posting my kitchen creations and food revelations on Kristina's Conscience going forward.

Food, Family & Politics: they definitely go together!

5 comments:

  1. We started a small container garden 1 1/2 years ago and now have over 200 sf of garden in the back yard (and plans to double that soon). If you like fresh veggies, you'll LOVE growing and picking your own. We never use chemicals, what the critters/bugs get, they get. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in Kennesaw for almost 8 years and have never made it over to the Farmer's Market. Isn't that shameful? I plan to start now that the girls are in school.
    Also, my aunt read Skinny Bitch and became a vegan. She makes yummy vegan cakes. For our family, we really LOVE meat, but we've given up almost all processed carbs. (I still splurge on tacos though. Because they rock my face off.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - that's awesome! I've been wanting to start my own garden for some time. I half-assed it a few years ago in the sandy soil at the beach. Needless to say, nothing grew. I've kept about 5 cacti alive for almost a decade and I bought a basil bush on Tuesday that I intend to grow really, really big.

    Sara - I love cheese, yogurt & butter in moderation. Have gone organic on the latter two, but the organic cheese is just out of my price range right now. We cut out most processed foods, too. Keep Trisquits (3 ingredients!) and multi-grain bread in the house along with some dairy, cereal & granola bars. I love how eating well at home teaches our children to make good choices away from home. Jake's not scared to try anything, even when he asks "what's it made of?" and I'm like "cow".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't a vegetarian if u "sometimes" eat meat, it's all or nothing.
    What a hypocrite. You own a wing zone. Seriously, check yourself girl and stop trying so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO...I was thinking the same thing. Just finished reading the last blog and it said she made a pizza with ham in it so how is her house meat-free!? I also don't know any kid in the world who'd eat fried okra or pizza with broccoli on it! Eeewww

    ReplyDelete